Most popular breeds of small dogs. Small dog breeds are increasingly popular around the world because they are easy to have in small homes and are very tender in appearance. Small breeds are considered those that in their adult life do not weigh more than 15 kg.
However, within these small breeds we also find miniature dogs that can weigh between 1 kg and 6kg.
If you are looking for a breed of small dog, then, you need to read this article so that you know the benefits of having a dog toy at home. Recommendations when adopting one and the care needed to protect them. In addition, we have prepared a list of toy dogs with the most popular small breeds.
Benefits of adopting a small dog
• Small dogs fit perfectly into small spaces, so if you don’t have a large garden, these breed types are perfect for you.
• The maintenance of a small dog is less expensive than that of a large dog. Expenses are mainly reduced by food, as small breeds, although they eat often eat very little. And the cost of the veterinarian is also usually lower.
• Toy dogs are easy to transport in vehicles, you just need a travel wooden box or a small transporter ready.
Most popular small dog breeds, toy and miniature.
This type of dog enters among the breeds of miniature dogs, also known as sausage dog or teckel and is of German origin. This puppy does not weigh beyond 6 kg. However, there is a breed of teckel that is classified as a standard dog that can reach up to 11 kg. Its physiognomy is due to a genetic mutation known as bassetism and its characteristics of fur can vary from dog to dog. They find long hair, hard hair and short hair.
If you’re looking for a puppy that looks like a stuffed animal, then you’re looking for a toy poodle. Its main characteristic is the ensorted fur, dense and abundant, although there is also a variation of the breed with fur in the form of tufts. They are very tender puppies that do not weigh more than 4.5 kg. Toy poodles descend from traditional poodles mixed with smaller breeds. It is also known as Poodle or as Pudel, they are intelligent and learn instructions very quickly so it ranks 2th in Stanley Coren’s ranking about the intelligence of dogs.
It is another breed of miniature dogs which is of Mexican origin, this puppy does not reach weighing more than 3 kg. Its main characteristic are its ears which are very large compared to its body. As a watchdog it is excellent, as it is quite suspicious and emits very good barking. However, in houses with children it is necessary to be careful because the Chihuahua or also called Chiuaueño is usually very nervous and can get bothered quickly.
This puppy is really a breed of miniature dogs that does not get to weigh more than 2kg, so it is also known as Miniature Terrier. The Yorkshire has a smooth, abundant and double-colored mane that has made it popular as an exhibition dog. Probably his mane is what catches the eye among models and celebrities around the world who choose him as their pampered pet. You can even see that she is the mascot of Barbie, the traditional American doll.
This breed of dog can live up to 17 years.
This breed of small dog originating in Germany does not reach weighing more than 6 kg, descends from the crossing of the standard schnauzer and probably the miniature pinscher. They are strong in character, although they are playful. Traditionally they accompanied farm owners to keep them free of mice and guide the horses. Miniature Schnauzer breed dogs are excellent companionship for adults as their character is serious. He needs socialization when he’s young so he doesn’t be shy as an adult.
It is a dog native to China, also known as pug, mops or doguillo. It is a rather sensitive and little noisy dog, it gets along very well with children and easily learns instructions. It is characteristic of this dog its large head, bulging eyes and flat nose. He can live to be up to 12 years old. It is a playful dog and ideal for company. It is not for guarding qualities or for being a great barker.
It is a small dog that does not reach weighing more than 8 kg, its main characteristic is its character, since it can be a small beast. He is of Chinese origin and became part of royalty, in ancient China, whoever would harm a Pekingese was severely punished, even could pay with the death penalty. There are several types of Standard Pekingese and Miniature. It is a very brave dog and faces dangers that do not go in proportion to its size. It is not recommended for children or playful adults, as it does not like to be disturbed or very spoiled. He prefers prudence and can even be frivolous.
This breed of dogs toy is also known as Continental Toy Spaniel. It is a breed of small dog of French and Belgian origin. Papillon is a name in French meaning butterfly, name that has won this breed of small dog by the shape of its ears. It’s a somewhat shy dog so you have to teach it how to socialize from a young age. It is also a very independent dog that if not polite can resolve its conflicts in its own way and cause certain disasters at home. It is really sensitive and easily adapts to the mood of its owner, can understand his anxieties and also his joys.
Recommendations and/or care for small dogs
• Choose a small dog based on your needs and abilities. There are some dogs that are ideal for children because they are patient and playful. Others are rather for older adults because they are passive, calm, act like a real company and can even sniff out health problems. There are those who are guardians and who are very active and energetic. Before adopting a breed of small dog ask yourself what your company needs are.
• As for their care, small breeds risk lowering their temperature very quickly, so in winter and cold and rainy times it is advisable to leave their long fur and have a warm space.
• Small breeds of dogs are very common to live in small houses without a patio or garden. That’s why there’s little chance of wear out your nails. If this is your case the frequency of nail cutting should be higher.
• The deterioration of dental parts in small dogs is faster than that of large dogs. More dental control is important from the age of 3. Tell the veterinarian about the frequency and shape of brushing, tooth care and toys available to help them control bacterial plaque.
• The frequency of daily food should be higher than that of a large dog, since small dogs are more active and this causes them an acceleration in their metabolism. Foods exclusively for small breeds take into account this particularity and have the calories needed for small dogs.
List of all breeds of small dogs, miniature or toy
If you still have doubts about which breed of small dogs is for you, in Pet Notes we leave you a list of other small breeds that you will surely love.
• Australian Silky Terrier
• Boston Terrier
• Parson Russell Terrier
• Fox Terrier Toy
• Scottish Terrier
• Maltese Bichon
• Frisé bichon
• Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
• Japanese Spaniel
• French Bulldog
• Italian Greyhound
• Chinese Crested Dog
• Pinscher Miniature
• Prague mouse
• Shih tzu
These were the most popular breeds of small dogs.